Friday, February 18, 2011

Day 4: Remember People's Names

This has been a tough task for me, mostly since I came to college. You literally are meeting new people by the minute, and to remember all of their names? Shesh, I'm not that good guys!

As a resident assistant the past two years I've had an even harder task. I oversee about 45 female residents for the academic school year. The problem is, they all arrive on the same day and I'm bombarded with names. Not to mention, changing hairstyles and looks!

This past fall I remember specifically two roommates moving in together and they looked like twins. I realized that they had different colored eyes, so that's how I now know them by name. It seems sad that I had to do that, but I need little memorization tricks like that if I'm going to remember +45 names. And if you ask some of my girls, even to this day I'll draw a blank on their name and just pass by with "Hi girls!" rather then saying their name(s).

But remembering people's names isn't just a good thing for your brain--for me it shows a sign of respect and the fact that you were paying attention to the person when they introduced them self. So from now on, I'm going to try and use the persons name more in my initial conversation with the person. For example, repeating their name after saying "thank you _____" or "have a great day ______."


Today's memorization fact: blueberry juice boost memory (how fitting!) Plus it provides a ton of other additional benefits.
I haven't had any detachment from possessions (yet!) and I read an article earlier on how racism is still a huge part of today's world.

TGIF, right?! Enjoy your last day of school or work and SMILE. You made it through another five day week. Do something spontaneous this weekend--cross something off of your bucket list! Simply live (and love) life.

Much love,
Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment